News

Kingsmills suspect ‘linked to 50 murders’.

Tuesday, 23 May 2017

THE revelation that a key suspect into the Kingsmills massacre has been linked to almost 50 murders has been met with outrage.

Speaking at the inquest into the atrocity last week, a barrister said the police review linked a "prime individual" to 46 murders that happened between 1974 and 1976.

The killings included 22 civilians, one of whom was a seven-year-old boy, 21 soldiers, two police officers and a paramilitary activist.

Newry and Armagh DUP MLA William Irwin, joined his Party leader Arlene Foster on Thursday to meet the relatives of the Kingsmills massacre victims and said he continued to be impressed by the "absolute dignity and determination for justice" displayed by the families, while he also criticised the Irish government.

"It is concerning that the Irish government has failed to honour, in any meaningful way, a promise issued in 2015 to supply the inquest with information relevant to the investigation of this case," said Mr Irwin.

"I am also shocked by revelations that a key suspect in the atrocity has been linked to 45 other murders during the troubles.

"We also know that weapons used at Kingsmills were also used in subsequent IRA murders and this underpins the absolute importance of this investigation progressing and requests for information being fully facilitated.

"There is no question that the IRA sanctioned this attack and despite repeated attempts to distance themselves from this atrocity every uncovered fact points directly to the IRA." The Ulster Unionist's Westminster candidate for Newry and Armagh Councillor Sam Nicholson, described the suspect as one of the most "prolific serial killers in British history".

"This individual is undoubtedly one of the most prolific serial killers in British criminal history and demonstrates the barbarity of the Provisional IRA," he said.

"There has been a great deal of publicity and debate over legacy cases and dealing with the past.

"If ever a case should be fast-tracked to the head of a queue, it should surely be that of a person suspected of involvement in 46 murders in a two year period." Meanwhile, victims campaigner William Frazer said that the evidence proves beyond "reasonable doubt" that the IRA was responsible for the killing of the 10 Protestant workmen.

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete