Greenfield edge out Crieve to maintain perfect start

Tuesday, 3 October 2017

Greenfield edge out Crieve to maintain perfect start thumbnailAARON Byrne jumps highest for Greenfield against Crieve.

GREENFIELD PARK maintained their perfect start to the season after narrowly defeating Crieve Rovers 3-2 at Olympic Park, writes Sean McKevitt.

Antony Harkin's troops produced a workmanlike performance to record their fourth win from their opening four league matches, although they were pushed all the way by a plucky Crieve Rovers side who might have clinched a point in the closing stages of the match but for the woodwork.

Greenfield flew out of the blocks the quicker of the two teams, taking a two goal lead as early as the eighth minute. In what was the first of a flurry of first half goals, the Estate side broke the deadlock five minutes in, when Davy Bagnall headed home an inch perfect cross from James Boyd.

Boyd and Bagnall combined once more for Greenfield's second goal soon after. The tenacious Aaron Byrne showed great determination to pinch the ball in midfield, before slipping a great through ball down the wing to the strong running Bagnall. The former Windmill Stars' ace then delivered a pinpoint cross to James Boyd who made no mistake from eight yards out.

Greenfield continued to drive forward, but against the run of play Crieve pulled a goal back through the quick thinking Niall Carr, who took advantage of moment of hesitation in the Greenfield rearguard, to fire home from ten yards out.

JP McIlvenny spurned a great chance to add to Greenfield's lead midway through the first half, but at the other end Crieve caught Greenfield flat footed in the 33rd minute. Micky Heaney latched onto a great long ball from defence, before lobbing the ball over the advancing Greenfield goalkeeper Frank Kerr, to restore parity for Crieve.

But back came Greenfield once more to regain the lead two minutes before the break, through a superb low drive from JP McIlvenny. And the same player almost found the net in the last action of the half, when he was inches away from connecting with a Davy Bagnall cross.

The second half failed to produce any further goals, although it was Crieve who went closest to finding the net fifteen minutes from time when a Mickey Heaney free-kick was tipped onto the post by the outstretched hand of Kerr. From therein, Crieve were unable to breach the Greenfield defence, which included the equally excellent Jerome Finnegan and Wayne Heaney.

The result leaves Greenfield nicely perched in third position in the First Division league table, hot on the heels of joint leaders Rockview United and Ballyholland. Crieve, meanwhile, have picked up just four points from their opening five league matches and will hope to get their season back on track with a much needed win against Derrybeg this Saturday.


Crieve Rovers: Robbie Philpott, Darren McEvoy, Glen Rice, Brian McParland, Jordan Mackey, Reece McCann, Barry Magee, Christopher Quinn, Niall Carr, Michael Heaney, Stephen O'Connor. Subs: Stephen McLoughlin, Caolan Finnegan, Michael McMahon.


Greenfield Park: Frank Kerr, John Finnegan, Wayne Heaney, James Bennett, Jerome Finnegan, Aaron Byrne, Glen Weir, Michael Lonnergan, J.P McIlvenney, Davy Bagnall, James Boyd. Subs: Eamon Daly, Brian Henning, Lorcan Tumilty, Stevie Craven, Conor McCann, Colm Heaney, Mark Doherty, Ben Cafolla, Paddy Heaney, Ciaran Coffey.


Referee: Gerry McDonald



Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete