News

Hill Street regeneration approval ‘straight forward’ – Councillor Hyland

Tuesday, 13 February 2018

Hill Street regeneration approval ‘straight forward’ – Councillor Hyland thumbnail

THE third phase of the public realm scheme regeneration of Hill Street looked set to be ratified at last night's council meeting at Monaghan Row.

Speaking to Independent Newry Councillor Davy Hyland ahead of last night's [Monday] Enterprise, Regeneration and Tourism committee meeting, Councillor Hyland said that, as Vice-Chair of the committee, he'll be proposing that the third stage of the development is ratified.

The work on the Lower Hill Street Area - which will encompass O'Hagan Street, Mill Street and John Mitchel Place - brings to a conclusion work on Hill Street, the first phase of which commenced in 2012, with the second phase continuing in 2015.

"I'll certainly be proposing for it at the meeting," said Councillor Hyland. "It's a continuation of the previous work that had been done on the rest of Hill Street; putting in new pavements, kerbs and tidying the place up.

"It's completing the overall scheme, more than two thirds of the scheme has already been completed and there is just this one last stage to finish off."

Acknowledging the temporary upheaval on day-to-day commerce and city trade, Mr Hyland said: "The only drawback to it is that there is a certain level of disruption with it - digging up roads and putting down new pavements and things like that - but that temporary suffering can be compensated by the fact that, at the end of the day, you've got a much better surface that will look much, much better.

"There is the understandable annoyance of workmen coming in with diggers and streets being dug up, but you just have to go through that small amount of pain to get a better Newry."

Councillor Hyland said that because 90% of the funding will be provided by the Department For Communities (DFC), with Newry, Mourne and Down Council providing the remaining 10%, the overall outlay for the ratepayer will be minimal.

He said: "I know that the council contribution to it wasn't massive. Central Government had to be assured that local government were behind the scheme in the first place, so that's a way of ensuring that they were happy with it and that we're working with it.

"The initial amount of money is small in comparison to the amount of money you're then taking in."

Prior to last night's meeting, Mr Hyland expected ratification of the motion to be a formality, and said: "As it's already gone through two stages of it; the top end of Hill Street working down as far as Cathedral Quarter, and we also did Monaghan Street also with it, so it should be straightforward enough.

"I can't see anyone objecting to it because the council has to put in very little money toward it because most of it is paid out of central funds, so who would object to it."

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete