News

Wallace launches High Court bid

Tuesday, 20 March 2018

NEWRY boxer Conor Wallace has launched a High Court bid to be reinstated to Northern Ireland's Commonwealth Games team.

The 21-year-old is seeking an injunction aimed at reversing the decision to drop him from the squad set to compete in Australia next month.

Proceedings were adjourned on Thursday after his lawyers revealed alternative attempts to mediate resolution are also to be explored.

Mr Wallace was deselected by the Northern Ireland Commonwealth Games Council (NICGC) earlier this month as police said they were investigating a complaint against a 21-year-old from the Newry area.

His legal team have issued proceedings against the NICGC and the Irish Athletic Boxing Association (IABA).

Barrister Ronan Lavery QC told the court last week they also now want to exhaust alternative resolution options.

He stated that a retired senior judge will chair a mediation/arbitration process tomorrow (Wednesday).

"The difficulty in this case is that the deselection was presented as a fait accompli," Mr Lavery said.

Lawyers representing both the NICGC and the IABA confirmed their willingness to participate in any alternative resolution hearing.

Mr Justice Maguire told them he wanted to know if the outcome to any arbitration will be accepted as binding, rather than just a prelude to ongoing litigation.

"You can't just have a situation of going through the motions before the real battle in this court," he stated.

Adjourning the hearing, the judge said he wanted to be informed of the parties definitive position before the mediation takes place.

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete