News

Ports issue lifetime bans to fans after Showgrounds scenes

Tuesday, 1 May 2018

PORTADOWN Football Club have moved to ban a number of people following the violence which marred their game with Newry City AFC at the Showgrounds last week.

A spokesperson for Newry City said that they are continuing to work with the PSNI as part of their investigation into the violence.

A spokesperson for Portadown FC slammed the violence, yet attributed the fights to both sets of supporters, a view not widely held amongst the majority of supporters in attendance.

The spokesperson said: "Whilst we feel that the safety management arrangements were less than satisfactory during and after the game, and have concerns with the manner in how the incident was handled, this in no way excuses the type of behaviour witnessed between both sets of supporters.

"We have already identified a number of people who were involved in the incidents, and they will be issued with lifetime bans from Shamrock Park.

"We are currently working with the relevant authorities to further identify the small number of people involved, and when this process is completed, further bans will be imposed."

In a Facebook post appealing for information about the incident, a spokesperson for the PSNI in Craigavon said: "In Craigavon, we take pride in our district and all the many positive things that come out of the community. In recent times, sport has been at the forefront of local success and something we can all be really proud of.

"So with that said, are you one of the "fans" who let Portadown FC down monumentally?

"It is both infuriating and embarrassing when another district gives us the heads up that a minority of 'fans' have let the respectful majority, down. There were injuries on Friday night as people fell from stands and cars.

"We have already received some footage from Friday and believe more may be available to us very soon. Once footage has been assessed, we won't hang about. Your family will see it, your employer or school/college... in short, there's no hiding place.

"The statement from Portadown FC says it all. That sort of behaviour has NO place in society, does not represent the club in anyway, and is a disgrace to the individuals engaging in it and those who would hide them.

"If you were involved, phone 101. Your football banning order is coming. Your only question is what else you want on top of that. Contact us EARLY and that will be taken into account. If we have to come find you, the consequences are yours to deal with."

A Newry City spokesperson said: Newry City AFC unequivocally condemn the disgraceful scenes witnessed at The Showgrounds last night. They have no place in football and we will be working closely with the relevant authorities to identify those involved.

 "Following the incident on Friday night, the PSNI investigation line is now open if you have any information or would like to make a statement please contact 101 and quote reference number: cc1679 of 20/4/2018."

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete