City Reserves make history

Tuesday, 1 April 2014

City Reserves make history thumbnailNEWRY Reserves Captain, Stefan Martin, lifts the Cup after a well contested battle with Banbridge Rangers Reserves on Friday evening. MGP1426

NEWRY City AFC Reserves made a little bit of history when they defeated Banbridge Rangers Reserves in the Wilmor Johnston Cup Final on Friday night.
It's the club's first trophy since their reformation and it was truly a night to remember.
Manager Gary Redpath was delighted to have won the Cup and said after the match: "It's all about the development of all of our young players and giving them the belief and confidence to fulfil their potential and, with the right attitude, to go on to play for Newry at the highest level.
“This was evident on Friday night as we went a goal down but continued to play our football throughout and the lads were duly rewarded for their efforts," he said.
“The boys trained hard all season and their fitness levels, combined with their footballing ability, shone through to bring a well-deserved trophy back to the Showgrounds. On behalf of all at Newry City AFC, I would like to thank a well-organised Banbridge Rangers team for making this a memorable final.
“Finally a huge thank you to the rest of the Reserves coaching staff; Kevin, Stevie and Marty and also our unwavering travelling supporters along with the lads behind the scenes at NCAFC."
Captain Stefan Martin added: "I am unbelievably proud to have been the first player to lift a trophy for the newly reformed Newry City. It means the world to me and it is certainly a moment I will never forget.
“Our management have been fantastic this season. Personally I would like to thank them for everything they have done thus far. We couldn't have done it without them."
Played in front of a big crowd at Holm Park, Armagh, this was truly an amazing night for manager Redpath and his young Newry team who went a goal down with less than two minutes gone but who fought valiantly for the next 110 minutes, with their superior fitness a major contributor at the final whistle.
After going behind Newry battled brilliantly but with time almost up it seemed their efforts were to be in vain. However, Shane Lundy hit a cracking equaliser on 90 minutes to bring the match into extra time.
And in that extra time City did the business. But yet again they left it late. In the last minute of extra time Joe Campbell lobbed a long ball into the centre of the Banbridge defence with the alert Mark Lowry nipping in between the centre half and keeper to prod the ball into the Rangers net to seal a stunning victory.

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete