Killeavy off mark at Cruppen

Tuesday, 6 May 2014

Carrickcuppen 1-09. Killeavy 1-13.

KILLEAVY defeated Carrickcruppen on Friday evening to get their Division One campaign up and running.
In a hard-fought away game at the Newry Road the green and black-shirted side were the better team but in fairness Cruppen were well under-strength.
Killeavy boss, the legendary Mickey Linden, was pleased to grab his first victory in charge after losing the opening two league matches, as he told the Democrat: "I'm delighted to get a win under our belt. It was a tough game and Carrickcruppen were short a few but our lads did well and hopefully this will give us confidence for the future."
On the other hand Cruppen were disappointed at losing their third league game on the bounce and their manager Damian Lynch wasn't too enamoured with a directive from the Armagh country management team.
Lynch told the Democrat: "We were told we were not to play county men Stephen Harold and John Magill as Armagh have a challenge match tomorrow. This pulled the heart out of our team. It was disappointing, especially when Killeavy had no county players and we had six other first team players missing.
” Killeavy began strongly and fired over the first four points of the match, these coming from Niall O'Neill (2), Man of the Match Ciaran O'Hanlon and Michael Boyle.
But the home side got back into contention on 12 minutes when powerful midfielder Mark Patton picked out the speedy Decky Carville who had the simple task of palming into an empty net.
Undeterred by this goal, Killeavy wasted little time getting back into the match and after Sean McEvoy pointed, the visitors raised a green flag on 13 minutes. Niall O'Neill picked out the robust full forward Raymond Teggart who sent a glorious 25-yard effort thundering off the upright and into the back of the Cruppen net.
Conceding the goal was bad enough, but the Carrickcruppen keeper John McCullough injured himself trying to save and played no further part in the match, his position taken by outfield player Blainne Hughes with Mark Rice coming on as a sub. In the next 15 minutes the sides traded scores with Decky Monaghan and the energetic Paul Keenan pointing for the home team with James Donnelly and Sean McEvoy replying for the visitors. However, the half ended with three unanswered scores from Cruppen, Keenan and Cathal O'Grady (2) doing the needful. And indeed despite their slow start, Carrickcruppen were just two points adrift at the break.
But in the opening ten minutes of the second half Killeavy doubled their advantage with a couple of scores from the quick-silver Ciaran O'Hanlon.
The match became interesting again as Dylan Lynch and Paul Keenan cut the gap back to just two again - yet once more Killeavy stepped up the pace, with Gerard Byrne and O'Hanlon pointing at the other end. In the final ten minutes Carrickcruppen pushed hard, but every time they raised a flag, Killeavy did likewise and in the end four points separated the sides. Cathal O'Grady and Decky Carville grabbed Killeavy's late points with O'Hanlon and Teggart scoring for Cruppen.
Carrickcruppen: John McCullough, Conor Boyle, Barry Loughran, Karl McVerry, Dylan Lynch, Billy Joe Patton, Patrick Quinn, Blainne Malone, Mark Patton, Thomas Hughes, Cathal O'Grady, Blainne Hughes, Decky Monaghan, Paul Keenan and Decky Carville with subs: Mark Rice, James Burns and Caolan McCullough.
Killeavy: Sean O'Hanlon, Gordon Magennis, Ryan McConville, Seamus Cosgrove, Pat Hannaway, Donal O'Neill, Sean McEvoy, James Donnelly, Barry McKevitt, Darren O'Hanlon, Ciaran O'Hanlon, Michael Boyle, Gerard Byrne, Raymond Teggart and Niall O'Neill with subs: Kealan O'Hare, John McKeffrey, Mick Murphy and Kealan Donnelly.

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete