All square in all-county tie

Tuesday, 4 July 2017

All square in all-county tie thumbnailSHANE O'Neill's huddle as they were held by St Paulís

SHANE O'Neill's and St Paul's had to settle for a draw at Clonmore on Sunday.

SHANE O'NEILL'S.....1-14
ST PAUL'S.....1-14

The sides were level in the opening minutes with St Pa u l 's leading through a free, which was cancelled out by a David McCabe point and they swapped the next two points also with Matthew Girvan on target for the home side.

The Shane's moved three ahead minutes later when a high ball from Matthew Girvan made its way to David McCabe and he made no mistake from close range before young Girvan extended his side's advantage with a well taken point minutes later.

However, the Shane's lead was short-lived as St Paul's hit a goal and a point in quick succession to get them back on level terms once more.

A point from Ryan Quinn and a free David McCabe edged the Shane's two ahead again with St Paul's responding with a pointed free.

With half-time fast approaching the Shane's hit a real purple patch and scored four answered points to lead by five at the break.

Paddy Doran powered forward from defence for fire over from long range before good work from Michael McParland found Matthew Girvan in space and he made no mistake as he slotted over his third point of the half with Paul O'Rourke and Mark McCabe also chipping in with scores.

The Shane's made a great start to the second period with David McCabe registering a great point in the opening minute and his side now led by six.

However, this proved to be their last for score twenty minutes as St Paul's fired over seven points on the trot to put them ahead for the first time since the opening minute.

Paul O'Rourke stopped the rot with a well taken free and he cancelled out another St Paul's point minutes later to leave the sides all square with less than five minutes on the clock.

St Paul's edged ahead soon after only for Ryan Quinn to level things again with a well taken point from a very tight angle and when Mark McCabe put the Shane's in front with the game in added time it looked like the Camlough had done enough to claim the win but a pointed free with the last kick of the ball saw St Paul's salvage a draw with the sides finishing on 1 - 14 apiece.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete