Bessbrook looking good

Tuesday, 12 September 2017

Bessbrook United 4 Kilkeel Athletic 1
IN the end it was a comfortable win for Bessbrook but they got an initial scare from Kilkeel in Saturday's Carnbane Premier League clash.
The Brook began the game at a frantic pace and with in five minutes went ahead when Stephen Matthews slipped the ball through to Lee Fallon who smashed an unstoppable shot past Paul Kearney in the Kilkeel goal.
Five minutes later the visitors nearly pulled one back when a defensive error allowed the ball to ping-pong around the penalty with eventually a defender hacking it off the line.
Bessbrook were playing some neat attacking football but were rocked back when a out of the blue Athletic were awarded a penalty kick. And Paddy Sloan made no mistake from the spot.
After a hectic start the game went in to a bit of lull but it was Bessbrook who were creating most of the chances with Matthews coming close on the half hour when his stunning free-kick had to be saved at the second attempt by Kearney.
They kept pressurising and two minutes came close again when Kyle Cartmill's near post header from a Stephen King corner flew over.
On 40 minutes a Tom Patton header from a Dermot Fearon corner looked destined for the back of the net but ironically came off the head of his own player and bounced to safety.
Right on the stroke of half Matthews thought he had put the Brook ahead but his curling free-kick crashed off the cross bar.
It was obvious the Bessbrook management team were unhappy about the team not being clinical enough but whatever was said at half time it certainly worked. Within minutes they went ahead when a neat pass from Hastewell found Matthews who wasted no time in blasting the ball in to the back of the net.
Five minutes later they increased their lead when a surging run and cross from Fallon down the right hand found Ryan O'Hare who had the simple task of tapping the ball home.
Bessbrook were now on a roll and could easily have added to their tally when close range effort from Fallon flew over and then minutes Kearney reacted sharply to save at the feet of Stephen Matthews.
The moment of the match came in the the dying minutes when a Dermot Fearon superb scissor kick was equally matched by the save from Kearney.
Bessbrook fully deserved their victory but it was obvious it was the half time rollicking that got rid of their first half complacency.
Bessbrook United: Conor Ruddy, Sean Cinnamond, Dermor Fearon, Tom Patton, Kyle Cartmill, Sean Geary, Stephen King, Stephen Matthews, Mickey Hastewell, Lee Fallon, Ryan O'Hare. Subs: Gary McVicar, Gavy O'Keefe, David Edgar, Ben Treanor, Shay Carroll.
Kilkeel Athletic: Paul Kearney, Kevin Maxwell, Michael Treanor, Christopher Mulligan, Joe McCartan, James Riley, Stephen McVeigh, Aidan O'Hanlon, Kyle Morris, Conor Cole, Paddy Sloan. Sub: Paddy Cartland.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete