Burren win Down U14 title

Tuesday, 12 September 2017

IN what can only be described as atrocious conditions, the boys from the six clubs involved in the Mourne Trophies U14 Finals served up three excellent matches for the huge crowd at Clonduff on Saturday.
The opening game saw Tullylish take on near neighbours Drumgath in the C Final.
In a very low scoring game it was Tullylish who started the brighter and with the aid of the strong breeze, took an early lead and held on to it at half time with the score 0-6 to 0-2.
But with only four points the difference, Drumgath were happy knowing they had the strong breeze for the next period.
Slowly but surely, Drumgath started to close the gap and reduced the score to 0-7 to 0-5 with only minutes remaining.
It looked as if Tullylish had defended well to lift the title but with time running out Caolan Teer was to be the Drumgath hero when he fired the winning goal to the net.
In a frantic injury time, both teams had chances to score but with some great defending, Drumgath held on to win by one point.
The second game, the A final, saw All Ireland U14 Champions Burren take on Saval.
This was always going to be a hard test for the young Saval boys as Burren hadn't been beaten all season and their winning margins have all been in double figures.
Burren got off to a great start and never looked back. At half time they were leading 3-6 to 0-5.
In the second half the Burren boys had the breeze and rattled the Saval net another three times to win on a final score line of 6-11 to 0-6.
In the final game, The B Final, saw Rostrevor take on Clan na Banna.
This was a superb advertisement for underage football.
Although the rain had stopped for this game, the underfoot conditions were very slippery, but this wasn't to stop both teams produce a quality game of football.
In the first half Clan na Banna played with the aid of the strong breeze and used it well finding the player of the match, Donal Scullion, at every opportunity with long balls into the full forward line.
He tormented the Rostrevor defence and the Clan's looked to be coasting at half time leading 1-10 to 1-3.
In the second half Rostrevor started strong and fired over three quick points, one a long range effort from Tiernan Morgan.
Clan na Banna steadied themselves when Scullion fired over another point only for Rostrevor to come back with a goal and a point to draw level with 12 minutes left. Then it looked as if Rostrevor had hit the self-destruct button.
Captain and full back Patrick Sloan was sent off for a second yellow card and from the resulting free Clan na Banna fired home their second goal.
Rostrevor tried and tried to claw back the three points but some wasteful shooting saw them hit three wides in a row.
With time running out it was Ciaran Monaghan who kick started the Rostrevor fight back when he slotted home a goal from close range to equalise.
Again as the match entered injury time it was Rostrevor who finished the stronger with points coming from Callum McDonagh and Tiernan Morgan for the Rostrevor Reds to win 3-10 to 2-11.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete