Town drop three more points.

Tuesday, 7 November 2017

WARRENPOINT Town dropped yet another three points at Milltown on Saturday - in a match that was there for the taking.


And the Point got a dream start, when local lad Alan Davidson hit a cracking goal after just four minutes, to help them on their way.

At the break things were still going pretty well as the visitors hadn't really threatened Berratt Turker's domain and the Town had plenty of possession. But in the second half the Swifts upped the tempo, netted twice in eight minutes and then cruised to the tape.

Manager Matthew Tipton was not a happy man as he spoke to the press after the game. He said: "At half-time we were 1-0 up and were comfortable.

Berratt (Turker) never had a save of note to make.

We spoke at half-time about how we wanted to play in the second half - the same as we started the first half ... but we didn't do it.

"It took a wonder goal to get them back into the game. It was unstoppable from the moment it left his (Ryan Mayse) foot but it was stoppable in three phases prior to that. We didn't compete well for the first header and then someone should have been on him at the edge of the box.

These were designated things to do. Whilst it looked great from their behalf, it wasn't great from our point of view." Tipton continued in the same vein: "Then we didn't rise to the challenge. In football you can't just hope that somebody's going to do it. It looked to me as though our players were feeling sorry for themselves.

"We need to snap out of that because they won't get pampered by me. They'll get told the truth. When we were winning last season they got told the truth - that they were doing well. Now when we're not doing so well, they will also get told the truth.

"I'm not here to babysit them. I'm here to get results.

We never created anything the whole game.

Did they have a shot to save the whole game? We defended too deep. In the position we were in during first half I could maybe forgive them for that.

"Even when they went to ten men with 15 minutes to go - it was after you Claude. We were waiting for someone else to do it. I counted three opportunities when the ball bounced between two of our players and they left it to each other. Conor McMenamin could have volleyed one while Stephen Murray, Darius and Lorcan all left it for each other at one stage.

Just put your foot through it and smash it into the top corner," said Tipton.

It was all doom and gloom after the match but it was a complete contrast after just four minutes. 17-yearold Lorcan Forde won possession in midfield, slalomed past three Swifts' defenders before sliding a super pass to Warrenpoint boy Alan Davidson who from 16 yards hit a scorcher high into the net past a helpless Andy Coleman.

A magical start and it might have got even better as 10 minutes later Stephen Murray played in Davidson but his snap shot missed the base of the Dungannon post by mere inches.

Also on 37 minutes the busy Forde picked out Davidson on the right but his cross was easy for Coleman.

Furthermore seconds before the break Darren Murray was inches too high with a header following a McMenamin freekick.

Everything in the garden was rosy as the Town players went in at the break. They were playing reasonably well and rival Dungannon had rarely looked dangerous.

Things though were to change in the next 45 minutes.

Yet the change came almost totally out of the blue.

There seemed little danger as Ryan Mayse latched onto a Johnny Lafferty downward header on 52 minutes but from 18 yards the wee man hit a scorching first time volley that gave Turker no chance.

And things were to get worse. Just eight minutes later substitute Paul McElroy played in Kris Lowe who beat Turker with a low drive from close range.

The Town never recovered from those twin blows although in truth they did have a couple of penalty decisions turned down by referee Andrew Davey - one a definite Chris Hegarty hand ball on 75 minutes.

The official took centre stage again as on 80 minutes he red-carded the Swifts' skipper Ryan Harpur for a late tackle (a second yellow) on Stevie Moan that left the Town captain limping heavily for the remainder of the game.

Yet even with an extra player for the last 10 minutes Warrenpoint never tested Newry man Andy Coleman in the Dungannon goal at all. In truth it was a truly forgettable day for the Point fans.

When asked what could he take from the match manager Matthew Tipton was downbeat as he said: "No positives. We've been beaten at home again when we were winning 1-0. It's not acceptable. Wee Lorcan at stages did reasonable well. He obviously created the first goal with a good bit of industry and a clever pass. And it was a good finish from Alan.

"We didn't feed him (Lorcan) the ball enough. We've got a player who is on top form and we just didn't give him the ball enough in areas that he could cause damage." Tipton continued: "They were trying to chase the game (when Swifts were behind) and they wanted to rile us and make us lose focus and that exactly what did happen. We weren't big enough, strong enough or clever enough to keep our shape. We began to chase after the ball a wee bit and maybe kick somebody but it would have frustrated them even more if we had been more organised.

"In the last week we've been ahead in both games and we've thrown it away. We've come away with one point from a position of having six. It's not acceptable.

We can't keep doing that week in and week out because the games are running out.

"The next thing it'll be after Christmas, we'll realise we have been cast adrift and we can't afford that. So we have to make sure that what we tell the players, they take on board - and take it on board quickly.

"Every week is becoming more important and the fact that we're playing Carrick (away on Saturday) who are close to us, makes it even more vital. We are going to have to change something. We'll have to look at it again coming into next week and see what we can bring on board," concluded the Town boss.

Warrenpoint Town: Berratt Turker, Stephen Moan, Conor McMenamin, Danny Wallace, Conall McGrandles, Liam McKenna, TJ Murray, Alan Davidson, Lorcan Forde, Stephen Murray, and Darren Murray with subs: Sean Mackle for McKenna (61), Marty Murray for D Murray (67) and Darius Roohi for TJ Murray (79).

Dungannon Swifts: Andy Coleman, Chris Hegarty, Douglas Wilson, Peter McMahon, Ryan Mayze, Ryan Hurpur, Ally Teggart, Kris Lowe, Seanan Clucas, Cormack Burk and Johnny Lafferty with subs: Paul McElroy for Burk (52), Terry Fitzpatrick for Lafferty and Nathaniel Ferris for McMahon (79).


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete