Fallon to the four

Tuesday, 14 November 2017

BESSBROOK are through to the last eight of the Mid Ulster Shield but it was a titanic struggle against a very disciplined Armagh side, writes Gerry Patton.


Bessbrook's first half performance left a lot to be desired and they could easily have been three down at the break.

After six minutes Bessbrook had the first strike when Stephen Matthews strode forward from midfield and unleashed a wicked volley which flew over and four minutes later Lee Fallon's low dive sizzled past the post.

Armagh eased themselves into the game and on 12 minutes they took the lead when their winger cut in from the left and whacked in a stunning drive, which flew past Alan Tasker in the Brook goal.

Five minute later they should have increased their lead but Tasker done brilliantly to parry away a great effort from the left winger but when the ball fell to the centre forward it looked easier to score but somehow he ballooned over from five-yards.

At this stage the visitors were under the cosh and on the half hour the left winger thought he had scored but his angled drive crashed into the side netting.

Just before the break Bessbrook had great chance when a brilliant cross from Lee Fallon found the head of Karl McVerry but his close range effort flew over.

After the interval it was the home side who came out of the blocks quickest with their centre forward blasting over from the edge of the area.

However, Bessbrook's equaliser came on 51 minutes when a cross from Stephen King looked quite easy for the keeper to gather but Fallon managed to get his head to the ball, which rolled into the net.

Armagh responded immediately with a long range drive from their dangerous centre forward just skimming the cross bar.

On 67 minutes Bessbrook took the lead the when the Armagh goalkeeper could not handle a Matthews free-kick and when the ball fell to his feet, the alert Fallon was on hand to tap the ball home.

His third goal came minutes later when Ryan O'Hare hacked the ball off the line from a corner kick and when his clearance found Fallon he wasted no time lashing the ball past the hapless keeper.

Armagh responded immediately with their central midfielder bursting through and then sent a blockbuster past Tasker.

It was nip and tuck now but on 80 minutes McVerry conjured up some room but his angled drive flew in to the side netting.

Minutes later he was on hand to send a lovely ball through to Fallon who wasted no time in whacking the ball past the keeper.

In the dying seconds Ryan O'Hare found himself completely in the clear but he lost his composure and drilled the ball past the far post.

Luckily for Bessbrook, after a barren patch, Lee Fallon regained his form to earn the Man of the Match award.

Bessbrook United: Alan Tasker, Shay Carroll, Gary McVicar, Tom Patton, Danny Cinnamond Shaun Gaery, Stephen Matthews, Garth Hughes, Lee Fallon, Karl McVerry.

Subs: Conor Sloan, Ryan Morrison. Ryan O'Hare, Mickey Hastewell, David Edgar.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete