Sean steals the show in late fatherís memorial cup.

Tuesday, 15 May 2018

SEAN Havern Jnr. scored a fantastic goal for Rockview United and capped off a terrific performance with the Man of the Match award, in the final of his late father 's memorial cup on Friday evening.


Rockview and their close neighbours Crieve Rovers went head to head at Jennings Park, with Sean's team Rockview coming out on top against a well drilled and determined Crieve side.

Sean's superb opening goal, followed by a composed finish from Joe Campbell put Rockview in a commanding position, before substitute Marty O'Donnell halved the deficit for Crieve with a header on 82 minutes, to set up a grandstand finish to the game.

It proved to be only a short lived reprieve for Crieve though, as Rory Barr nodded home a third for Rockview to seal the win late on.

Havern has been in inspired form in this cup since its inception last year and his goal in the final on Friday took his tally to a phenomenal twelve goals in just six games in the competition over the last two seasons.

Furthermore, there was also cause for double celebrations in the Havern family last week, as Sean's brother Stephen was in the Cleary Celtic team that captured the Premier Division title on Wednesday evening.

After the match Sean described it as a "brilliant feeling" to win the trophy and score a goal in the final.

"It's unreal, a brilliant feeling," he said.

"It's an emotional night for all of my family, especially my mother. It was great to have them all here.

"Fair play to Crieve, they came through a hard competition and beat a good Greenfield team in the last round. We were put out of this cup last season with a last minute goal in the semi-final against Ashgrove, so lucky enough we got over the line today.

Philly [McCorry] picked a good team from word go to win the competition, so a lot of credit goes to him as well."

The victory capped off a whirlwind seven days for Rockview, who annexed the First Division title last weekend, pipping arch rivals Ballyholland to the post in the final game of the league season.

Crieve, who were playing in their first cup final for nine years, gave a gutsy display and pushed their Church Street counterparts all the way in an exhilarating final, but Rockview were more clinical in the final third of the pitch and were deserved victors.

A special mention also must go to the man in the middle, referee Ciaran Cole, who had an excellent game and allowed the game to flow.

Speaking to the Democrat after the final whistle, Rockview manager Philly McCorry was over the moon, saying: "I'm delighted. The double; we definitely would have taken that at the start of the season.

"We knew we had to change our formation, normally we play three in the middle but Benny [Coulter] wasn't there, we were missing big Rico [Kelly] too, so we went 4-4-2 and it worked out well for us.

We got the width, we pushed Davy McKevitt on up, he played in left mid and we dropped Kaka [Cathal McGlade] into the midfield as well.

"We knew it was going to be a tough game with Crieve, they always put it up to us, we never get it easy against them. The first twenty minutes was tight, it could have swung either way. Crieve could have nipped in front, but once we got our noses ahead, we knew they had to come at us and we were going to create more chances.

"When we got the second one, they came back into it again, we knew they were going to come at us and whenever they did there was always going to be chances for us.

"Joe Campbell and Sean Havern played brilliantly up front, Brian Hobden was class, he reads the game so well, he's a quality footballer.

Rory [Barr] and Jack [Flynn] at the back were both great, both lads are only young and they're coming on really well. And our goalkeeper Eddie McGoldrick pulled off three or four outstanding saves, he's a brilliant shot stopper.

"But I'm delighted for Sean. We made him captain for the competition. This cup was a big priority for us, I said to the boys this cup should mean more to us than anyone else because we're playing for our teammate's father, so I'm just delighted now it's job done.

Sean's scored in every round in this cup, he's been an inspired man, so I'm just delighted for him because obviously the cup means a lot to Sean and he thoroughly deserved the man of the match."

Crieve showed they were up for this one right from the first whistle and early into the game Rockview keeper Eddie McGoldrick had to be at his best to parry away an instinctive right footed drive from Crieve's Niall Carr.

Rockview gradually began to feel their way into the game and on 20 minutes Sean Havern made space on the edge of the box, but fired the ball straight into the grateful arms of Crieve net minder Robbie Philpott.

On 23 minutes Crieve were on the attack again. This time Simon Hollywood collected a precise through ball from Chris Quinn and skilfully weaved his way through a mass of bodies in the Rockview box, but his tame effort failed to trouble McGoldrick.

At the other end the deadlock was broken just after the half hour mark, in what was a moment of brilliance by Sean Havern. Joe Campbell fed the ball to the feet of the towering Havern 20 yards from goal.

He deftly controlled the ball, quickly turned his opponent and rifled the ball into the top corner of the net via the underside of the crossbar.

Rockview 's tails were up and they went close to adding a second early in the second half. Joe Campbell and Cathal McGlade combined to set up Havern, but Philpott was quickly off his line to deny the big man from point blank range.

On 54 minutes Crieve spurned a glorious chance to level affairs. Substitute Marty O'Donnell forced his way past two Rockview defenders on the left flank before whipping an inviting ball across the face of goal to the inrushing Christopher Quinn, whose miscued shot from six yards flew well wide.

This missed opportunity for Crieve was further compounded on 61 minutes when Rockview doubled their lead. The marauding Ciaran Horsfall charged down the right wing and cut the ball back to Brian Hobden. He then threaded a pass through to the strong running Joe Campbell who finished with aplomb from ten yards out, to put Rockview in the driving seat against his former club.

The talented Hobden was in the thick of the action again midway through the half, this time thwarting Crieve's Christopher Quinn with an outstanding last ditch challenge.

Crieve were now throwing everything into attack, in an effort to claw their way back into the game. On 72 minutes a Marty O'Donnell header drew a fantastic reflex save from McGoldrick and seconds later Rockview's Sean Mooney was on hand to head clear an effort off the line when a goal seemed certain.

Then on 82 minutes the ever impressive O'Donnell collected a short pass from Brian McParland and from 25 yards his bullet like drive looked destined for the bottom right corner of the net.

But not the first time on the night McGoldrick came to his side's rescue, diving low to his right to brilliantly force the ball wide.

From the resulting corner kick Rockview custodian McGoldrick was finally beaten, O'Donnell rising highest to nod home the cross.

But any hopes of a Crieve comeback were quashed three minutes from time.

Crieve keeper Robbie Philpott was brandished a straight red card by referee Ciaran Cole for handling the ball outside the area. And from the subsequent free-kick Gavin Foy's inswinging delivery was headed home at the back post by Rory Barr, to seal a night to remember for Rockview United and the Havern family.

ROCKVIEW UNITED: Eddie McGoldrick, Jordan Coyle, Ciaran Horsfall, Brian Hobden, Jack Flynn, Rory Barr, Cathal McGlade, Gavin Foy, Sean Havern, Joe Campbell, David McKevitt.

Subs: Patrick Kavanagh, Peter Markey, Ciaran O'Neill, Gavin McNally, Michael Kerr.

CRIEVE ROVERS: Robert Philpott, Sean Mooney, Ciaran Cummins, Glenn Rice, Brian McParland, Corey McCullough, Christopher Quinn, Barry Magee, Niall Carr, Simon Hollywood, Jonathon Taylor.

Subs: Martin O'Donnell, Fergal Collins, Jordan Mackey, Stephen O'Connor, Conor Cranney.

REFEREE: Ciaran Cole.

LINESMEN: Rodney Kimbley & Sean Harland.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete