THE man can not be named for legal reasons.
THE 25-year-old man at the centre of a rape allegation against a two-week-old baby boy has appeared by video link at Newry Magistrates Court this morning (Tuesday).
The man, who cannot legally be named in order to protect the identity of the child, is currently being held in Maghaberry prison.
The defendant has been charged with the sexual assault of the infant and of inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent. At a court hearing in Armagh last week, a police officer told the court that he could connect the accused to the charges.
The attack, which is alleged to have taken place on September 29, is believed to have occurred in the Annalong area. The baby remains in the care of the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children.
The man, who was dressed in a grey sweatshirt, had a small bruise under his right eye, and spoke just the once, when he confirmed his name for the court.
A prosecution lawyer told the court that the state had “been put on notice of and had been prepared for a bail application”.
She added that this would have been opposed, but that she understood that that application was not being proceeded with by the defendant's lawyers.
A barrister acting for the accused confirmed this to the court, but put District Judge Eamon King on notice of an application to be brought forward for bail at a later date.
Judge King ordered that the defendant reappear before Newry Magistrates Court by way of video link on November 7.