CLIFTONVILLE 3-1 NEWRY CITY: Visitors' poor away form continues

CLIFTONVILLE 3-1 NEWRY CITY:  Visitor's poor away form continues

DARREN Mullen remonstrated with the Fourth Official during Monday night's game against Cliftonville.

Michael Scott


Michael Scott


Monday 12 November 2018 21:41

NEWRY City gave a good account of themselves in front of the Sky cameras but, as has been the story of their season so far, their travel sickness got the better of them.

It's now played eight, lost eight on the road for Darren Mullen's side - but they are playing good football and surely it is only a matter of time before their fortunes turn.

Solitude was stunned with just four minutes on the clock thanks to a goal straight from the training ground. Stephen Teggart was fouled on the edge of the box, Mark Hughes rolled the ball to his brother Stephen and his attempted goal was blocked, spinning into the path of Dara Noonan. He finished into an empty net at the back post.

They could have had a second on 17 minutes when Stephen Hughes and Stephen Teggart played a one-two down the right flank. Hughes found Mark McCabe on the penalty spot but his shot hit the side netting.

Newry were keeping the hosts at bay, but the Reds almost pulled level when Ross Lavery's cross was headed wide by Rory Donnelly. Joe Gormley volleyed wide when Levi Ives' free kick was only cleared as far as the ace marksman on the edge of the box.

Cliftonville were to equalise on 27 minute with a move started and finished by Rory Donnelly. He found Chris Curran who fed Donnelly with the outside of his boot, allowing him to go around City shot stopper Andy Coleman to score.

Three minute later they were ahead. Curran found Donnelly, who this time turned provider, crossing for Gormley at the back posts. Newry appealed for an offside but the TV pictures showed that he was played on.

It was 3-1 on 33 minutes in controversial circumstances. Rory Donnelly won a corner following a tussle with John Boyle, even though the Cliftonville player had put the ball out of play himself. Ives' corner found Ryan Curran who made no mistake, although the visitors' defence will have questions to answer about how they dealt with the corner.

Darren Mullen, needless to say, was less than happy with some of the officiating going into the half time break.

The Reds had the first chance of the second half. Goalkeeper Richard Brush went route one and found Gormley. His backheel found Chris Curran but the shot was dragged wide.

Just before the hour mark Gormley chanced his arm from distance with a free kick which sailed over Coleman's goal, and goalkeeper was to the rescue five minutes later with a fine save to deny Rory Donnelly's attempt with the outside of his boot.

Stephen Hughes found Dale Montgomery on 65 minutes and forced a terrific save from Brush. All of a sudden space was opening up for City to create chances and 'Rambo' was the provider again shortly afterwards, this time for skipper Mark Hughes who fired over as Newry tried to find a way back into the game.

Stefan Lavery, brother of Cliftonville full back Ross, and Tiarnan Rushe were introduced into the game as the game became more stretched.

Lavery warmed Brush's hands with 11 minutes to go after Darren King had raced onto the ball down the right hand side, pulling it back for the substitute to get a shot away.

Rushe almost set up an interesting five minutes when he was played through on goal by Thomas McCann, but Ross Lavery managed to get back, hold Rushe up and make a vital block.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Alpha Newspaper Group

Characters left: 1500